Manitoba Fitness Council Winnipeg, Manitoba -  Winnipeg Personal Training Certification
Cart: $0.00 Login


How long does it take to complete the whole accreditation process?

The process can take anywhere between 3 – 12 months, depending on your level of involvement. All requirements must be met 12 months following the completion of the fitness specialty exam.


Do I have to go to the same training agency for both my theory and specialty course?

No. All training agencies must meet the same standards and criteria for offering a course. Each agency offers the courses on different days and times, so pick a course that’s best suited to your schedule.


How long do I have to write the exam after a course is completed?

Exams must be written within a 1-month period of completing the Exercise Theory Course and for any Specialty Course (Group Fitness, Resistance Training, Aqua Fitness) you must complete the exam within 6-months.


How much will it cost to take the training?

Although each training agency sets its own fee, each course will cost approximately $220. Some agencies provide a discount if you sign up for more than one course.


How long are the courses?

MFC sets standards and guidelines for the courses, and requires that a fitness theory course be at least 18 hours and not more than 20 hours. The courses may be delivered in a variety of formats, so choose one that is suited to your learning style. The fitness specialty courses are approximately 24 hours long.


Do I have to take the course? Can’t I just get a manual and write the exam?

In order to challenge a course, you must meet certain criteria and submit documentation. For example, individuals who possess a degree in Exercise Science can apply to challenge the fitness theory course.


What CPR/ First Aid courses are required?

Emergency First Aid and CPR,


Where can I go to take the CPR/First Aid courses?

These courses are most commonly taken through St. Johns Ambulance or the Red Cross. Courses are also available through community programs (check in the Leisure Guide distributed by the city of Winnipeg, or with various Continuing Education departments, etc.). MFC only recognizes the following providers: Canadian Red Cross, St. John’s Ambulance, the Lifesaving Society and the Heart and Stroke Foundation.


How do I get evaluated?

You contact the MFC office and let them know where and when you would like to be evaluated. At least two weeks advance notice is required. MFC will make arrangements for an evaluator to contact you to confirm the date and time.


What do I have to do for the evaluation?

The evaluator will meet you prior to your class to review your class design sheet. The evaluator will then observe your class and evaluate you on the lesson development specific to your specialty (warm up, cardiovascular activity, muscular conditioning and flexibility); skills in teaching (selection of exercise, safety, explanation, use of music, education and teaching techniques) and professional qualities (manner, attitude, language, planning). Following the class the evaluator will meet with you to provide feedback.


What can I do with an MFC accreditation?

MFC is the standard for fitness leadership training in Manitoba. Most fitness facilities will require that you possess MFC certification.


If I move to another province, do I need to re-take the training?

No. The MFC is part of the National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA), which is a collaborative group of provincial/territorial government affiliated fitness certification/registration agencies. Should you move from one province/territory to another, you can easily transfer your certification to your new region of residence. The cost to transfer your certification if you move from one province to another is nominal, but all associations will require that you pay an administrative and/or membership fee to transfer.


What can I use for income tax purposes?

MFC recognized courses are not eligible for a tax deduction.